Maquoketa was settled in 1838. In May of 1842, the Rev. Charles E. Brown a pastor in upstate New York, was appointed by the Baptist Home Mission Society as a Church planter in Iowa. On August 31, 1842, 14 people met in a home West of Maquoketa and organized the First Baptist Church and Society of the Forks of the Maquoketa River. A need for a church building arose. A simple wooden structure was erected in 1853 and the Church flourished.
In 1859 the Church building burned to the ground and the land was sold. But the people didn’t give up. After using rented facilities for a number of years, a new church building was erected in 1888 and the congregation continued to grow.
In 1945, with Christmas only four days away, a new pastor on the way, another fire destroyed the facility. Without funds to rebuild, the congregation continued to worship in accommodations at City Hall, and ultimately purchased a large house. The house was used for the next 10 years.
On May 18, 1958 ground breaking was held on the existing site for the current sanctuary, and in 1968 the Educational Wing was added.
First Baptist Church of Maquoketa stands looking outward and upward today, not as a group of people with a history, but as a dedicated body of believers striving to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ and to serve the surrounding community in His name.